Rules 1-9 Review Check out thecriminalmind.us
From “The Sociopath Next Door,” Martha Stout, PHD
2. In a contest between your instincts and what is implied by the role a person has taken on–educator, doctor, leader, animal lover, humanist, parent–go with your instincts.
3. When considering a new relationship of any kind, practice the Rules Of Threes regarding the claims and promises a person makes, and the responsibilities he or she has. Make the Rule Of Threes your personal policy.
4. Question Authority.
5. Suspect Flattery.
6. If necessary, redefine your concept of respect.
7. Do not join the game.
8. Don’t try to redeem the unredeemable.
9. Never agree, out of pity or far any other reason, to help a sociopath conceal his/her true nature.
10. The best way to protect yourself from a sociopath is to avoid him, to refuse any kind of contact or communication.Sociopaths live completely outside of the social contract and to include them in your life is perilous. Although they may seem hurt by your boundaries, the sociopath really has no feelings to hurt. People may not understand why you have to cut this person off as sociopathy can be difficult to detect amd even more difficult to explain. If total avoidance is impossible, try to come as close as you can to keeping your distance from the sociopath. Once you engage with a sociopath, the destructiveness in their psyche can undermine your own life.
11. Question your tendency to pity too easily.Pity should be reserved for innocent people who are in genuine pain or who have fallen upon misfortune. If you find yourself often pitying someone who consistently hurts you or other people, who actively campaigns for your sympathy, the chances are close to 100% that you are dealing with a sociopath. Don’t be afraid to reserve your sympathy for those that truly deserve it. Don ‘t be afraid to be unsmiling and calmly to the point. Contrary to what many of us have been taught, we don’t have to be caring to everyone.
12. Defend Your Psyche.Don’t allow someone without a conscience convince you that there is no hope for humanity. Most humans do possess a conscience and are able to love.
13. The Best Revenge is living well.No explanation is needed. As Confucius said, “If you plan to embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.”